Mowers are the perfect machine used for maintaining your lawn, no matter how small or big it is. Besides the maintenance of a lawn, it gives you the opportunity to relax your mind and body as mowing a lawn brings numerous health benefits along with it.
Though there are many different types of mowers available in the market with distinct features, specifications, and designs, but many people all around the world preferred to have a lawn mower that is better than all other types from all aspects.
Normally the selection of a mower depends on the size and the kind of lawn you have but people in general incline towards the push mower. The reason for it you will see when we will discuss the benefits of a push mower below in this article.
But what if you have a self-propelled mower? You will definitely look for ways to convert it into a push lawn mower for the reason that purchasing a new one would not be a good idea.
If this is the case, then you have arrived at the right place, as here; in this article, we are going to discuss about how to turn a self-propelled lawn mower into a push mower.
To make it easier for you to understand, we will also briefly talk about the way a push mower and a self-propelled mower works. So now, let’s start with the basics and see how we can do it.
Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers
A self-propelled lawn mower, as the name suggests, is run by the drive system; it means that you only have to press a bar or a handle, and it will start running itself; you just have to guide it through the way.
Mostly the self-propelled lawn mowers are powered by gas or electricity, and therefore minimal physical involvement is required.
Push Lawn Mowers
Push lawn mowers are opposite of the self-propelled lawn mowers as it requires the user to push a mower in order to move it forward or backward. Push mowers do not necessarily require gas, electricity, or any other fuel to run them.
Benefits of Having Push Lawn Mowers
When it comes to the benefits, there is no doubt that push mowers surpass all other types of mowers, and because of it, many people look for ways to turn a self-propelled lawn mower into a push mower. Some of the advantages of having a push mower are mentioned below.
- The first and foremost benefit of it can be seen from the fact that a push mower requires the physical involvement of the user for running it, and for that reason, it brings many health benefits. Besides keeping you fit physically, it also helps you in relaxing the mind.
- Other than the health of a user, the push mower is also beneficial for the health of your lawn. The use of fuel powered mower leaves your lawn prone to diseases by the leftovers of the fuel, and also, it does not cut the grass uniformly, making it look rough and irregular. As a result of it, the grass does not grow faster and healthier. Using a push mower protects you from all of it.
- When you are not using electricity or gas, it will not emit any harmful gasses, and similarly, will not produce noise. Thus, the use of a push lawn mower is beneficial for the environment.
- Push lawn mowers are lightweight, and you can easily push them with a little bit of effort. On the other hand, self-propelled mowers are heavyweight, and you cannot move them without using any power source.
- When there is no drive system, and you do not require any kind of fuel, a push mower in this way saves a lot of money, and also, it is cheaper when you compare with the prices of other types of lawn mowers.
From here, you can see the reason people look for ways to turn their self-propelled lawn mowers into a push mowers.
Turn a Self-Propelled Lawn Mower into a Push Mower
Coming back to our main topic of the article, as you know that the self-propelled mower work with a drive system and therefore are heavyweight.
To turn a self-propelled mower into a push mower, we only need to remove a drive system or self-propel system out of it. To do this, you can follow the below-given steps.
- Step 1: The first thing you need to do is to remove the power plug so that it does not start accidentally. Also, disconnect the batteries if attached.
- Step 2: Now, you need to know where the drive system or transmission setup is placed. You can check it from the product manual if you are not sure about it. Once you have located it, you need to remove the cover so that you can see it.
- Step 3: As you will remove a cover, the drive system will be exposed to you. You need to find out the setscrew in the middle of the transmission and pulley. Make sure that the mower is in a position where the fuel does not drops out.
- Step 4: You need to remove the drive belt, which will be attached to the pulley. Using the appropriate tool turn it round until you can slip the belt out of it.
- Step 5: If it does not help, you can also unscrew the blade and the belt from the main shaft, and once you have taken out the belt, you can put back the blade in its place.
- Step 6: Reinstate the cover, and you are done with it. Put the mower back on its position and use it like a push mower.