Watering and maintaining lawns has never been easier until water sprinklers are introduced.
No matter you have a small area or large, sprinkler systems can easily cover all the parts, and using lawn sprinklers allows you to distribute water evenly at all sides.
When talking about maintenance, watering is not the only element; in order to maintain the aesthetic look of the lawn, you are required to have a lawn mower.
A lawn mower reduces the maintenance time and also makes it much easier to cut the grass uniformly.
However, if there is a sprinkler system in place, in that case, you need to be careful when using a lawn mower as it can badly damage the sprinkler system and eventually can make it ineffective.
Using Water Sprinklers
Sprinkler system not only reduces the wastage of water but also saves your money. A well-watered lawn will ensure smooth growth of plants and will give a healthy, greenish, and fresh look to the eyes.
Not using the sprinkler system is also not a good idea at all, as with water sprinklers, you can automate the process, and your plants will not get dry even if you are not there for some time.
Plus, it saves your time and is really helpful if you are a busy person; in addition, the water sprinkler system reaches to points that otherwise are not easy to reach.
see also Best Zero-turn Lawn Mowers
The problem arises here that how can we use the lawn mower without affecting the sprinkler system?
And exactly this point we are going to discuss here in this article and will give you an ultimate solution to this problem.
Sprinkler Head Protections
When using the lawn mowers, the most vulnerable part of the sprinkler system is the sprinkler heads.
There are several tips and tricks that can be used to protect the sprinkler heads from the lawn mowers, and below, we are going to discuss the most effective and reliable ones.
Sprinkler saver, commonly known as sprinkler donuts, is considered as one of the most effective, low-priced, and reliable solutions to protect the sprinkler heads.
It is a round shape object with a hole in a center and is placed directly above the sprinkler heads, acting as a shield cover; it can be made up of different kinds of materials.
Concrete donuts are also made, and it proves to be the best head cover as it can also protect the sprinkler head from other external factors such as mud, heavy rain, etc.
For setting up the sprinkler donut, you need to find out the exact diameter of the head of the water sprinkler, and then purchase the donut at least one inch bigger in size so that there is some extra space left on the sides.
Here you should know that how many sprinkler heads you need and the material of the donut you want.
Lightweight and plastic material donuts often float in the case of heavy rain, so it is better to go with concrete as it is more long-lasting and effective.
Once you have got the donuts, place it on the sprinkler head in a correct position, hold it down and then cut the area around the donut using a trowel, remove the dirt and grass, and then push the donut in the place.
It should be done easily with your hands; while doing all these, make sure that the sprinkler system is not affected.
Using Swing Joints
Another most used and effective method of protecting sprinklers head is using the swing joints.
Swing joints are the system that allows the sprinkler heads to move, so if it is hit by a mower, the sprinkler head will move out of its way. The swing joints heads are versatile, reliable and ensures protection from stepping over.
- Apart from these methods, there are several tips that will give better performance and life expectancy if followed.
- The first you need to ensure is that the sprinkler heads are properly buried and are not too much above the ground level as they can easily be hit by anything. Similarly, if it is placed below the ground level, it will be affected by the grass and mud, making it unworkable. Therefore it is very important that the sprinkler head is placed in the correct position.
- When using any type of sprinkler saver or donuts, make sure that it is embedded in the ground securely so that it does not move from its place when a mower moves over it.
- When mowing the lawn, you can place the flags around the sprinkler head so that you know where the sprinkler heads are when you are working. In this way, you will be careful when coming around the sprinkler head, or you can manually cut the grass coming over the head of the sprinklers.
- You can also use PVC pipes to easily locate the sprinkler heads. Place the PVC pipe around the head and make sure that it is higher in length so that it is clearly visible.
- It is important to know that you should keep the pipes empty in winter seasons because if you left water in them, it would get freeze leading the pipes to crack and burst.
- To protect and to keep the sprinkler head functioning, it is crucial that you keep it clean. For cleaning, you should turn off the system first, unscrew it using appropriate tools, remove all the dirt from it, and use water to clean if required. After cleaning, place the parts accordingly and place the sprinkle at the right place.