Riding a lawn mower is an enjoyable experience as, along with the maintenance of a lawn, you also get some time for physical activity, which is very important for your health.
No matter how much excellent quality lawn mower you have got, with time, it will eventually requires care and maintenance, and you might need to replace some parts of it.
The most important usable part, or you can say one of the most exposed area of a mower, is the belt, and the more you use a mower, the more it will be affected, and there is a chance that the belt might be the first thing you may need to replace.
Replacing a mower’s belt is a common practice as it is obvious that changing a belt is much more beneficial rather than buying a new lawn mower.
Having said that, replacing a lawn mower is not as simple as going to the market and purchase a new belt; rather, it requires a bit of additional effort, and it is that you need to measure a lawn mower belt.
Each lawn mower belt size and aspect is different from others depending on the type and the model, and therefore, it is important that you know the actual size of it.
Measuring a lawn mower belt is not difficult at all, and you can simply do it yourself within a couple of minutes.
Once you know the actual size, only then you will be able to get a new belt that perfectly fits on your lawn mower.
By seeing the importance of it, here we are with an article to inform you about the most suitable and appropriate ways and techniques to measure a lawn mower belt.
Measure a Lawn Mower Belt
Replacing a lawn mower belt turns out to be necessary because as you use a mower for a long time, the belt might become loose, get stretched, wear out, or there may be any other problem that occurs with it.
The key to replacing a lawn mower belt is that you know the exact size of it. Let’s now move on to the steps to see how we can measure it accurately.
- Step 1: In order to measure the exact length and width of a belt, you need to separate the belt from the mower. Use the appropriate tool for removing the belt and as you do it, be careful that you do not hurt yourself. Make sure that you do not cut through the belt while separating it, as it will make it difficult to take measurements.
- Step 2: Once it is removed completely, now you need to place it on a flat surface or a ground. The belt might roll up itself from the corners, but you need to make it straight for accurate measurements. You can place some weight on the sides of it; it will prevent the belt from rolling.
- Step 3: As the belt is flat, now you can use the measuring stick or tapeline to take the required dimensions. Place a starting point of a tape on one end of a belt and then extend the tape to the other point of a belt. It is better to note the readings on a piece of paper so that you can look for them whenever required.
What if a Mower Belt is Lost or Stolen?
Yes, it might happen to anyone, and it becomes more important to get a new belt in order to use a mower. For this, you should know how to take the measurements without a belt.
In this case, you don’t have an existing belt that you can use to take the reading, and therefore we will use the mower itself.
If this is the situation, here we will use an inner edge of a mower where a belt is placed. Firstly, mark the endpoints of the inner edge with a marker so that we are sure that we are taking the accurate readings.
Now you need to place the starting point of a tape to one mark and then extend the tape from the inner side until you reach to the end mark. Note down the readings on a paper, and you are done with it.
Why Accurate Measurements Are Important?
In order to fully utilize a mower, all components and parts should be in good shape and well maintained.
The performance, efficiency and reliability of a mower depend on how you have maintained its features, and the belt is one of the most important of all.
If you keep using a mower with an old, worn-out belt, the mower will not work effectively; it may damage the other related components and, in the end, will damage the mower to the extent that it will become unrepairable.
The same is the case with a belt; if it is too tight or too loose to fit, the mower will not be able to function properly.
Therefore it is necessary that you get the exact measurement; only then you will be able to install it as needed and will get the best out of a mower.
When to Replace a Mowers Belt?
As soon as you notice that the condition of a belt is affecting the performance, you need to change it; however, there are certain elements that signal you to change the belt.
- The most ignored part of a belt is the side walls. You should carefully examine the side walls as they should be in perfect condition. Even slight damage to the side walls can result in irreversible damage to the belt if you keep using it in the same condition.
- Similarly, if a belt is cracked or have scratches from anywhere, it needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
- The same goes with belt slips, cover, or anything else you notice unusual, inspect the belt thoroughly and see if there is anything that needs to be fixed.