People preferred to have a hydrostatic lawn mower despite the fact that it is considered as the most expensive as compared to other types of lawn mowers.
On the other hand, it has a lot many benefits that you did not enjoy in other types, such as more durability, extended transmission duration, does not requires pedal to shift, and so many other distinct features.
In addition to the greater power, it offers variable speed control, movability, and it is easier to change directions.
To make it more efficient and to make the most out of it, there are ways by which we can make a hydrostatic lawn mower faster. You may already have come across different ways, but not all of them work well and are up to the mark.
Therefore to save your time and resources, here in this article, we are going to present you with an effective and quick guideline, tips, and tricks to make a hydrostatic lawn mower faster.
Factors Affecting the Functionality of a Hydrostatic Lawn Mower
Before we move on to the ways to make hydrostatic lawn mower faster, let us look into the factors which we should check in order to see what makes a hydrostatic lawn mower slower.
- Tires: It is one of the most fundamental elements to check when considering the speed in mind. The tires should be in perfect condition from all aspects, whether it is air pressure or any other related specs.
- Fluids: As we know that hydrostatic mowers use the fluid as a power source, so the type of fluid you are using highly affects the condition and performance of a mower. It is preferred to use the recommended fluid, which matches the requirement of a particular mower, in order to run the hydrostatic lawn mower smoother.
- Oil Level: In addition to the type of fluid, the level of oil present in the tank also affects the mower in one way or another. It should be above the marked level so that it does not get any problem while running.
- Leaks: Leaks are damaging for any equipment and can negatively affect performance. Any leaks in connection, pipes or joints, should be inspected and repaired immediately.
- Air Filter: Smooth passage or air flow should be ensured because even a slight blockage can cause serious trouble in air circulation and hence affect the overall performance and functionality.
- Cooling Fan: A cooling fan is an important element in a mower and plays a vital role in enhancing the speed and performance. It should be working fine, or else you should repair it to improve the mower’s overall condition.
Ways to Make a Hydrostatic Lawn Mower Faster
The above-mentioned are the main factors that highly affect the running of hydrostatic lawn mowers, and if you improve all of these points, you can eventually make the mower faster. Let us discuss briefly to see how we can do it in a perfect manner.
Based on the above-given points, tires are among the first thing you inspect, and if you see you can place larger tires, you should do it as long as they fit in the mower. Similarly, optimal air and pressure level should be ensured for enhanced speed, functioning, and capacity.
Sharpen The Blades
One way of making a lawn mower faster is by sharpening its blades. A sharp blade will smoothly cut the grass with high speed and accuracy.
If you notice that the blades are damaged or cannot be sharped further, you should replace them as soon as possible so that it does not further slowdown the lawn mower.
Besides sharpening, the blades should also be balanced so that it does not cause instability while mowing.
Remove The Speed Limiter
There are some hydrostatic lawn mowers that have an attached governor in their engine; a governor or speed limiter is a device that is placed to control the speed. Removing it can also make the mower faster.
Using Larger Pulley
The size of a pulley is directly proportional to the speed and motion. Among all other things, using a larger pulley will also make a hydrostatic lawn mower faster. Do make sure that you increase the size of a pulley gradually.
Filling Appropriate Gas
In addition to the inspection of air filters and leakages, the other thing to make a hydrostatic lawn mower faster is to use the appropriate gas. Using high-quality gas means more power and energy to the engine, which in the end makes a mower faster.
Change Drives And Bolts
Among all, changing the drive belts and bolts also plays an important role in making a hydrostatic lawn mower faster.
To do this, firstly, you need to remove the existing bolt and nuts and make sure you don’t damage them during the process. You can adjust the nuts if it works; otherwise, you can also replace them.
Once you have inspected and are done with the above given factors, you can give it a final check. Thoroughly lookout the mower from all angles and see if you have missed anything.
Keeping it clean and secure is also necessary in order to keep it functioning at faster rate. In addition to the above points, removing excess weight and frequently changing the oil also helps in making a lawn mower faster.